Director of the National Library of Latvia – Andris Vilks
Andris Vilks is one of the most prominent specialists of the library and information sciences. He has contributed significantly to the development of the library sector and advancement of information and knowledge society in Latvia and the Baltic States.
Born in 1957 in Riga, graduated the Doctoral program of the Library and Information Sciences at the University of Latvia. Since 1978 Andris Vilks works in the National Library of Latvia, and since 1989 is its Director.
Since 1989 Andris Vilks is ardently and tirelessly developing the project of the National Library of Latvia the Castle of Light, which includes the construction of the new building of the library, development of the country wide library network and establishment of the National Digital Library.
Andris Vilks holds different positions in national and international organizations:
- Director of the National Library of Latvia;
- Lecturer at the Department of Information and Library Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Latvia;
- Member of association "Time for Culture";
- Latvian Library Council, Member of the Board;
- Member of the Latvian Academy of Sciences;
- Association of the Libraries of the Baltic Sea Region “Bibliotheca Baltica” Member of the Board;
- Association of European Research Libraries (LIBER), Member of Executive Board;
- Member of the Conference of European National Librarians (CENL);
- UNESCO Memory of the World Register (MoW), Member of International Advisory Committee (IAC);
- Latvian National Commission for UNESCO Memory of the World Register and Communication and Information Programme, Chairperson.
- National Board of Culture, Chairman of the Board, Culture Capital Foundation of Latvia, Head of the Council;
- Chancellor of the Chapter of Orders;
- President of the Association of the Libraries of the Baltic Sea Region "Bibliotheca Baltica";
- The European Library, Member of the Board;
- Treasurer of the Conference of European National Librarians (CENL);
- UNESCO Memory of the World Register (MoW), Chairman of the Board;
- President of the Latvian National Commission for UNESCO.