Director of the National Library of Latvia – Andris Vilks
Born in 1957 in Riga, graduated the Doctoral program of the Library and Information Sciences at the University of Latvia. Since 1978 Andris Vilks works in the National Library of Latvia, and since 1989 is its Director.
Since 1989 Andris Vilks is developing the project of the National Library of Latvia the Castle of Light, which includes the construction of the new building of the library, development of the country wide library network and establishment of the National Digital Library.
Andris Vilks holds different positions in national and international organizations:
- Director of the National Library of Latvia;
- Lecturer at the Department of Information and Library Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Latvia;
- Member of the Association "Time for Culture";
- Board Member of the Latvian Library Council;
- Member of the Latvian Academy of Sciences;
- Board Member of the Baltic Sea Region Library Association “Bibliotheca Baltica”;
- Member of the Conference of European National Librarians (CENL);
- Member of the Conference of Directors of National Librarians (CDNL);
- Member of the UNESCO Memory of the World Programme (MoW);
- Chairperson of the Latvian National Commission for UNESCO Memory of the World Programme and Knowledge Society Division.
- Chairman of the National Board of Culture, Head of the Cross-Sectoral Division of the Culture Capital Foundation of Latvia;
- Chancellor of the Chapter of Orders;
- President of the Baltic Sea Region Library Association "Bibliotheca Baltica";
- Executive Board Member of the Association of European Research Libraries (LIBER);
- Board Member of The European Library;
- Treasurer of the Conference of European National Librarians (CENL);
- Chairperson of the UNESCO Memory of the World Register (MoW), Member of International Advisory Committee (IAC);
- President of the Latvian National Commission for UNESCO.
Honorary Member of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, Professor honoris causa from the Latvian Academy of Culture, The Order of the Three Stars (IV), The Cross of Recognition (II), state awards of Lithuania, Estonia, Poland, the Netherlands, Italy, Sweden and France, The Commemorative Medal for Participants of the Barricades of 1991, The Cabinet of Ministers Award, Cicero Award, Award "Laiks Ziedonim", Award for a lifetime contribution to book publishing "Zelta ābele".