Bibliography Institute (BI) serves as a scientific and methodological centre for data and knowledge organization of the state library system and as a national bibliographic agency. Main tasks of the BI are:
- NLL collection management (including legal deposit);
- recording of the nation's publishing output,
- coordination of national union catalogue and its quality control;
- library data and knowledge organization;
cooperation, counseling, educational, research and methodological work.
1. For library system:
- distribution of legal deposit copies to other deposit libraries;
- national bibliography;
- quality control of the research libraries union catalogue;
- development and maintainance of national thesaurus and classification system (UDC);
- development and maintainace of the digital library metadata model;
- library data standardization;
- teaching and consulting activities regarding to data creation.
2. For publishers:
- management of national ISBN, ISSN, ISMN;
- annual statistics of the nation's publishing output (PDF);
- "Latvijas jaunākās grāmatas" ("New Books from Latvia", PDF file twice in a month),
- The Index of Periodicals (PDF file once a year).
3. For international cooperation:
- data standardization for reuse;
bibliographic and metadata for projects and cooperation (EUROPEANA, VIAF, etc.).
- Collection Management Department
- Data and Knowledge Organization Department
- Metadata Department
- Serials Department
Mūkusalas iela 3, Rīga, LV-1423, Latvia
Director of the institute Anita Goldberga
Phone: +371 67716198