Conference "Open Science - the 21th century benefits for researchers" will be held on 20 October 2015 at the National Library of Latvia.
This conference is co-organised by the National Library of Latvia, the University of Latvia and the Riga Technical University and will take place in the framework of Open Access week. Its goals are to raise awareness of importance, benefits and impact of Open Access, Open Data and Open Science, to enhance awareness of decision makers of the necessity to formulate national and institutional Open Access policies and to introduce them with the best practice in Open Access policies, to introduce concepts and themes around Open Science to researchers and provide practical help in engaging with Open Access to research information, to inform researchers about Research Data Management policies and practices in research institutions, to develop skills necessary for publishing research publications in Open Access for librarians, focusing on the newly launched National Open Access repository service of the National Library of Latvia.
The first half of the conference will have a plenary format, and will consist of keynote speaches on:
- EC Recommendation on Access to and Preservation of Scientific Information sand EC Recommendation and Opening up Science;
- Open Access Policies and Best Practices;
- Challenges and solutions of Open Access to Research Data;
- Progress of Open Access in Latvia.
The second half of the conference will consist of four parallel workshops:
- Workshop for policy makers and decision makers: The role of Open Access and its implementation practice in research institutions;
- Two workshops for researchers (one for humanities and social sciences researchers, one for natural sciences and technologies researchers): Discovering Open Practices for Early Career Researchers;
- Workshop for librarians: Publishing in Open Access.
National Open Access Desk
National Library of Latvia