Latvian Librarians Association
75 Terbatas Street, Riga, LV-1001
Phone/Fax: +371 67312792
Latvian Librarians Association (LLA) was established in 1923 as a professional public organisation. In 1929 it became the member of the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) and also now acts as the representative of Latvian librarians in this international organisation.
The main objectives of the Association:
- to unite Latvian librarians for the advocacy of shared ideas and common interests;
- to promote the theoretical development and applied solutions within the sector;
- to participate in the drafting of library laws, developing the standards of the sector, improving the librarianship education;
- to facilitate international cooperation among librarians and their professional growth;
- to oppose any restrictions on information, to promote free access in libraries.
Latvian Librarians Association has 4 regional chapters and 7 sections.
The lines of activities:
- advocacy of librarians’ interests;
- participation in the drafting and defending of library law;
- representation in the Latvian Library Council;
- cooperation with the local, national and foreign librarians’ societies and associations;
- organising international and national seminars and conferences;
- sharing experience locally and internationally;
- dealing with various professional issues in the sections of LLA;
- managing the work of the LLA regional chapters.