The National Library of Latvia is the national cultural institution of importance under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture, acting in accordance with the law "On the Latvian National Library", other laws and Regulation is approved by the Cabinet.
The NLL mission is to promote the free and inventive usage of Latvia's cultural and scientific heritage so as to foster education, research, the development of knowledge and the quality of life.
The NLL cooperates with many libraries, organisations and institutions in Latvia and in the world with the aim of sharing professional experience and knowledge. The international activities of the NLL are focused upon:
- participation in international library organisations IFLA, CENL, CDNL, CERL, EBLIDA, ELAG, LIBER, IAML, IBBY, Bibliotheca Baltica, etc.;
- participation in international organizations UNESCO, ISO, IASA, ICON, IGELU, IPC and agencies ISBN, ISSN and ISMN;
- implementation of joint international projects and programs;
- cooperation with international organisations, foreign embassies in Latvia and Latvia’s embassies abroad, information and culture centres to promote Latvia’s culture heritage and organise international exhibitions and conferences;
- international document exchange and participation at international book fairs.